Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Update on the plane

So I managed to find enough free time today to finish the main wing. Yay! The wing's cross section is a flat bottomed airfoil. To achieve a smooth curve on the top of the wing, I peeled the paper off the underside of the foam board, and glued it on to the bottom half with the side still covered with paper facing up. I don't like the idea of having the paper  be the outer surface of the plane, so I plan to put a thin layer of fiberglass on the outside of the plane.

It went from this...

...to this.
Despite the visible progress, it's still not done yet. Dang. I still need to add vertical stabilizers on the wing tips, attach the control surfaces and cut out an access hatch in the top of the wing so I can take out the battery and receiver, as well as service the other components. 

Speaking of components, here is a parts list that covers all of the electronics that went/are going into this thing:


And if anyone is wondering why I'm making this out of foam board as opposed to a slightly more legitimate building material, it because this stuff is really easy to work with, it strong enough for this application, and this particular brand is ridiculously inexpensive (around $1.00 per 20" by 30" sheet).  

That's all for today. I'm short on time, so this had to be a short post. Here's another photo of the plane.

Ugh. It would be sooo much cooler if it were actually flying.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment